If you’ve been searching for a travel blog that will push you out of your comfort zone, you’re in the right place.
Hi! I’m Katie. Welcome to my travel blog – I’m so glad you’re here.
I’m a freelance travel writer and blogger by profession, and a full-time curious soul. Because I can work remotely, I never stay in one place for too long, and probably spend two months out of the year in my home country Wales.
I designed my adventure and offbeat travel blog to help everyone get out of their comfort zones and learn more about the world. On my blog, you’ll find destination guides and travel tips, whether it’s for unusual food specialties in Kerala India, ‘secret’ spots in Cuba, or a backpacking guide to Sumatra.
Latest From the Travel Blog
What is offbeat travel?
Simply put, offbeat travel refers to looking beyond the ordinary tourist activities, destinations, and experiences. It means discarding any pre-conceived ideas you might have about a destination and digging deeper. This, in my opinion, is fundamental to the travel experience – challenging your assumptions and looking beyond the surface.
Offbeat Travel Blog
- Things to Do in Bukit Lawang: Bukit Lawang Guide
- Samosir and Lake Toba Travel Itinerary: 14 Best Activities and Travel Tips
- Koto Gadang: How to Visit the Great Wall and Silversmiths Village
- Diving Anilao Guide: The Best Dive Spots and Resorts in the Nudibranch Capital
Here are my top tips for offbeat travel:
- Think experiential. Hands-on experiences where you can appreciate a way of living first-hand will help you muster a more genuine understanding of a culture, destination or activity.
- Don’t avoid popular tourist destinations. Look for their less-visited neighbourhoods, talk to locals, and see what made the destination tick before tourists flooded in.
- Stay or travel with a local. Whether that means chatting to someone at a bar or staying in a homestay, locals have insider’s knowledge on (to use the corny phrase) ‘undiscovered gems’. Don’t ask ‘Where should I eat?’. Instead, ask ‘Where do you eat?’.
- Consider your impact. While having an offbeat mission is great, don’t overstep any boundaries and definitely do not intrude upon anyone’s personal space. Ask permission, act respectfully, and be mindful of how your presence can impact other people.