If you’ve been searching for a travel blog that will push you out of your comfort zone, you’re in the right place.
Hi! I’m Katie. Welcome to my travel blog – I’m so glad you’re here.
I’m a freelance travel writer and blogger by profession, and a full-time curious soul. Because I can work remotely, I never stay in one place for too long, and probably spend two months out of the year in my home country Wales.
I designed my adventure and offbeat travel blog to help everyone get out of their comfort zones and learn more about the world. On my blog, you’ll find destination guides and travel tips, whether it’s for unusual food specialties in Kerala India, ‘secret’ spots in Cuba, or a backpacking guide to Sumatra.
What is offbeat travel?
Simply put, offbeat travel refers to looking beyond the ordinary tourist activities, destinations, and experiences. It means discarding any pre-conceived ideas you might have about a destination and digging deeper. This, in my opinion, is fundamental to the travel experience – challenging your assumptions and looking beyond the surface.
Offbeat Travel Blog
- Suwehan Beach, Nusa Penida: Is it worth it? + Full Guide
- How To Visit Nunggalan Beach and its Shipwreck
- The Best Beaches in Gower, Wales’ Wildest Coastline + Underrated Coves
- Guide to Topes de Collantes Cuba: The Best Hikes and Where to Stay
Here are my top tips for offbeat travel:
- Think experiential. Hands-on experiences where you can appreciate a way of living first-hand will help you muster a more genuine understanding of a culture, destination or activity.
- Don’t avoid popular tourist destinations. Look for their less-visited neighbourhoods, talk to locals, and see what made the destination tick before tourists flooded in.
- Stay or travel with a local. Whether that means chatting to someone at a bar or staying in a homestay, locals have insider’s knowledge on (to use the corny phrase) ‘undiscovered gems’. Don’t ask ‘Where should I eat?’. Instead, ask ‘Where do you eat?’.
- Consider your impact. While having an offbeat mission is great, don’t overstep any boundaries and definitely do not intrude upon anyone’s personal space. Ask permission, act respectfully, and be mindful of how your presence can impact other people.
- Gluten Free Food Philippines: How to Travel and Eat Out Confidently
- How To Be Gluten Free in Bali and Safely Taste the Cuisine
- How Travel Affirmations Can Transform Your Trip + How to Write Them
- Travel Journaling Guide: How to Write the Ultimate Travel Diary